Earlier this month, Gartner released its annual Gartner Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Tools 2019 and its companion piece, Critical Capabilities. In the Magic Quadrant, BMC Remedy (now Helix) has remained in IT’s holiest of holy places, the upper right corner, along with ServiceNow. Little has changed from a year ago with BMC scoring slightly higher as a visionary, and ServiceNow scoring higher on its ability to execute. What’s readily apparent is that BMC has fought back as best it can by continuing to focus on innovation, while ServiceNow has significantly excelled outside the ITSM domain. The good news is that BMC can win against ServiceNow and there are still plenty of bright spots ahead. For instance:
BMC still wins based upon core ITSM technology. In the 2019 Gartner Critical Capabilities for ITSM, BMC leads in 10 out of 12 critical capabilities. This report rates tool sets based upon maturity levels and critical capabilities that differentiates the most popular large enterprise focused products on the market. This report also evaluates three infrastructure and operations use cases and digital workplace use cases. Takeaways include:
- BMC is the #1 Digital Workplace vendor, five years in a row.
- BMC Helix is the leader in cognitive capabilities (AITSM) across all vendors.
- BMC is the #1 Advanced/Intermediate Maturity vendor with a broad ITOM software portfolio.
From the Magic Quadrant report:
- BMC has a broad IT Operations Management (ITOM) software portfolio, making it a viable partner for mature infrastructure and Operations (I&O) organizations that need to extend their ITSM tools
- BMC’s containerized BMC Helix ITSM product offers a broad set of deployment and licensing options, including SaaS, co-sell partnerships with public cloud providers (AWS and Azure), on on-premixes, giving customer flexibility in how and where their instance is deployed.
- Gartner’s Critical Capabilities research determined that BMC scored highest for the advanced I&O maturity use case, indicating it is strongly suited to meet the requirements of high-maturity I&O organizations.
Of course, the report also makes it clear that ServiceNow with its dominant market position and strong partner ecosystem may not drive the best value for all clients as a result of high cost, and frequent upgrades. This is good news for RightStar. Our recent Helix/Remedy new customers and activity bears that out.
BMC still has a strong enterprise and federal customer base, and we will continue to close our fair share of the business. I remain very optimistic.